It is misleading to say 'bridge' as it's actually 2 bridges. The first was constructed between 1909 and 1912. In 1935 the Labour Day Hurricane damaged the structure and as a result underwent works that transformed the bridge from rail to road. Hurricane Donna in 1960 caused yet more damage and the decision was made to construct a new bridge. Running almost parallel to the original bridge, a wider and structurally stronger bridge was built between 1978 and 1982. At the time of its construction it was the longest continuous concrete segmental bridge in the world.
The newer bridge is in fact less than 7 miles at just 6.79 miles (10.93km) and consists of 440 separate spans and unlike the original it does not cross Pigeon Key, making it that much shorter.
Copyright: Tinsley Advertising
The older, original section is still a popular spot but only 2 miles of the original length are open to the public with the rest being slowly eroded by salt water and storms. A project by a community known as 'Friends of The Seven' was formed to restore the bridge.
Every April the main bridge is closed for a couple of hours to allow for a 'fun run' known as The Seven Mile Bridge Run and normally attracts around 1500 participants.